Here are a few tips that might make it easier to talk about contraception with your partner.
Find a good time to talk
- Find a good time to talk about sex, contraception or any health concerns you might have — when you are alone together and unlikely to be interrupted.
- Do insist on using contraception every time you have sex if you do not want to get pregnant.
- Have as many conversations about contraception as you need.
- Talk about if either of you think you might need to get a test for a sexually transmitted infection (STI). Find out about STI testing here
Think of the practicalities
Talk about the practical aspects of contraception. For example:
- whether you need to stop having sex for a time
- what type of contraception you should use
- who will be responsible for using it
- who will pay for the contraception
Be sure that you are happy with your choice of contraception.
For more information, download the What you need to know about contraception guide here